As you know the internet is full of information on any medical condition you may search for. This website has been created with the hopes of making it your last stop when searching for and learning about heel pain. Dr. Neuhaus has also written a book that you may request for free that will answer most, if not all, of your questions about heel pain. Dr. Neuhaus has said “there is nothing I hate more than having patients come into my office having been to a shoe store and spent hundreds of dollars on shoes and/or inserts they don’t need or having read something online that is completely inaccurate”. There is no need to spend hundreds of dollars on inserts from a store that has a slick salesman. There is no need to be wowed by a fancy machine at a chain store that claims to be providing a “custom insert”.
Oftentimes, people are able to self diagnose many health problems if they have accurate information. Athlete’s foot usually clears up with an over-the-counter cream. Warts will respond to over the counter wart removers at times. Corn pads can cushion and relieve pain from corns. However, heel pain is one very common problem that can be extremely difficult to treat with over the counter methods because it is so complex. It requires an accurate diagnosis. Hopefully this website will help you understand the source of your heel pain and will provide you with an understanding of treatment options available. If you have been self treating and continue to have pain after 3-4 weeks, you need to see a podiatrist. Heel pain is not normal and you DO NOT have to live with it. In the offices of Neuhaus Foot and Ankle, we find approximately 90% of people have their pain completely resolved within a few weeks of starting treatment for heel pain. The other 10% require more complex treatment, but they will almost always walk away pain free within 3-4 months of aggressive treatment.
One very common misconception is that when you have pain in your heel it is most often due to a “heel spur”. The truth is, a heel spur rarely causes pain. The majority of heel pain that people experience is from a condition called plantar fasciitis. This website has been created to help you understand why your feet hurt when you get out of bed in the morning or when getting up from a break at work during the day. There are many educational videos included to explain common symptoms and conditions. There is also a section on treatment options.
The goal is to help you understand why you hurt and realize it is not normal. Dr. Neuhaus has written a book on heel pain and hopes you will request it, heel pain 101 (for free), and read it, to learn more about your feet. You deserve to be provided with accurate information about your health. You need to understand there are things you can do that can eliminate your pain. You do not have pain because you are a little heavier this year than last. It is not because your work requires you to stand or walk on concrete all day. These things may contribute to foot pain but are very rarely the sole cause of the pain.
The important point is foot pain is NOT normal.
You can do a few simple things such as changing shoes, stretching and having better support. Hopefully this website will help you better understand your pain and if you continue to hurt please call the Neuhaus Foot and Ankle office.
You can contact Neuhaus Foot & Ankle at 615-220-8788 or at the toll-free number 888-713-0906. Neuhaus Foot and Ankle is located in the Middle Tennessee area just outside of Nashville with offices in Smyrna, Brentwood, Lebanon, and Hermitage. For information on other foot related issues you can visit the practice website at www.neufoot.com.
If this is your first visit to our office, please take some time and print out our new patient paperwork on www.neufoot.com and save some time in our office on your first visit.