Can Nail Fungus Be Prevented?
While nail fungus isn't 100% preventable, there are definitely things you can do to help prevent toenail fungus from developing. Here are a few tips:
- Keep your feet healthy and hygienic, following the basic foot care guidelines.
- Don't walk around with bare feet in public areas, like locker rooms, pools, or exercise studios.
- Don't wear tight-fitting footwear or shoes that trap moisture. Try to always wear footwear that allows your feet to breathe.
- Always wear dry, clean socks. If your feet sweat a lot, change your socks often.
- Don't share nail clippers, files, or anything else you use on your feet or nails with others.
- Even if you don't share your bathroom supplies, be sure to disinfect them regularly.
For more tips and information on preventing nail fungus, visit our page on preventing fungal nail infections.