Herman Lather Returns to Football, Overcomes Ankle Injury
Tennessee football fans are probably excited to see linebacker Herman Lathers returning to the field. Lathers was out the entire 2011 season with a fractured left ankle and is eager to get back in the game.
“I’m real eager. I’ll have a whole lot of jitters. I’ve just got to calm myself down before the game… I just have to calm myself down and play ball,” Lathers is quoted as saying in an article by the Associated Press.
Unfortunately, a large proportion of sporting injures are to the foot and lower limb. One of the reasons is that sporting activities, such as football, place stress and physical demand on the body, much more so than our normal day-to-day activities. According to the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA), football players are particularly vulnerable to foot and ankle sprains and fractures. The APMA stresses the importance of foot care in exercising and reports that improper foot care during exercise is a contributing factor to some of the more than 300 foot ailments.
Most of the people don’t consider the health of their feet when it comes to exercise. In fact, your feet are one of the most overlooked parts of your body when it comes to exercise. It may surprise you to learn that your feet can absorb up to three times your body weight while you are running.
So here is some advice to keep your feet healthy while you exercise:
- Always consult a physician before beginning an exercise program.
- Wear well-fitting, good quality socks. Cotton socks work best.
- Wear durable, supportive shoes and make sure they are appropriate for the sport you are playing and the surface you will be playing on.
- If you are overweight or out-of-shape, you are placing more stress on your feet, so get in shape.
- Always stretch. You should do warm-up and cool-down stretches for 15 to 20 minutes before and after exercising.
If you would like more information on ankle injuries, you can call our office at 615-220-8788 or request an appointment online.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Herman Lather Returns to Football, Overcomes Ankle Injury"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."